Why I Do the Impossible — Making Crypto Trading Bots

Breaking down the mind of a fighter.

Once upon a time, I was in college. Most of us are, at some point. Though it wasn’t as painful for you as it was for me. That, I’m certain of. I mean, the depression hit me just two days in. Four years for a bachelor’s degree was starting to sound delusional. I wasn’t sure I’d make it four weeks.

Because the way I see it, there’s two types of people in this world: Fighters, and followers. Most people are followers, which is why the world works. That’s far from a bad thing. Nothing would get done if everyone tried to be different. Meanwhile, fighters question everything. Every boundary is a target, every rule an obstacle. Fighters fight for the cause they believe in. Which means they usually go against the grain. And I’m no exception.

This unusual personality has profound implications. I’m not saying it’s better, I’m just saying it changes a lot. For instance, as a child I only learned how things work so that I could break them. That was exciting to me. Chaos feels comfortable because it represents possibility. This is why I’m so comfortable failing now. That’s just one difference. And it’s not trivial. That’s what leads me to ridiculous things like trading bots.

First of all, what’s a trading bot? In my world, it’s just a computer program that buys and sells assets autonomously, hopefully making some profit in the process. In my case, those assets are cryptocurrencies like bitcoin. If that sounds hard to believe, I don’t blame you. About 95% of crypto traders lose money. And part of that remaining 5% who don’t lose money, they break even. Which is the same as losing money.

So essentially, more than 95% of people who do what I do fail. In fact, I’ve failed a lot doing it, too. I once lost $2,000 in 15 minutes when I was first starting out. So why do I confront such dismal odds? Why do I work 80–100 hours a week on this impossible goal? Why do I do something so perniciously hard?

Because boldness is in my blood. I’m a fighter in my core. Aggression is my natural state. I thrive on conflict. I was born in it. Raised by it. Molded by it. This changes the way you see the world. When something like this speaks to you, you always answer the call. Therefore, I make trading bots simply because it’s one of the hardest things I could do today. And I need to do very hard things. It’s like my oxygen.

Plus, it helps that my technical aptitude is above average. Besides, this has the potential to make some decent pocket change. And I need to amass capital to fight the other battles I have planned.

And there you have it. Perhaps not the answer you wanted, but the real answer. If you walk away from this article with one thing, let it be that some people are just sick in the head. Something’s deeply wrong with me. I can feel it, everyone around me knows it, and you can probably sense it reading this, too. But in rare instances, fighters like me surmount some incredible challenges. And that’s what I’m going to do.

Trading bot engineer, songwriter, sponsor of artists. <mika@myika.co>

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store